Thursday, April 12, 2012

Learning How to Draw Manga/Anime Art

This is entirely my views on learning how to draw manga/anime art. You can comment, but don't bash.

     To start off, I don't think those 'How To Draw Manga Characters' Tutorial books help at all. I'm usually interested in them until I see the contents and feel like I'm a joke or I'll get annoyed and insulted. And no offense, some of their art is also not very good. All you really need to start off drawing and learning manga art is actually a few simple things... :
  • Take any manga comic, which you like, and has a good pose of a character in it that you would like to draw. (Not to mention you can read the manga too.)
  • Then, trace it. Yes, BUT only for learning purposes.
  • Learn how they draw their eyes, the way they draw their hair. Observe every nook and cranny and figure out how to duplicate it as you trace the character.
  • Try to redraw it instead of tracing, now. Put the comic book beside you and draw what you've observed. Start with certain aspects, like the eyes, or maybe the mouth...
  • After you felt that you've got it somewhat right, use it! Draw a character and slot in the eyes, mouth, nose, hair, pose or what-so-ever that you that you've learnt!
     And, practice is always needed. You can't run from that. It'll also take some time before you will settle down and mold into the skill you've just learnt. Tutorials help too. Watching livestreams can also help pick up some things and ways of drawing that you didn't realise.

     Oh and, OBESERVE. Words can't describe how much that helps. And please state that you traced the artwork if you decided to post it online or show someone. ._.

     One important thing, I still use the 't' for face positioning references.  :P Draw stickmans to help you with the posing or whatever reference, hands, feet... Its kin of like a rough base. And to make sure that you ain't doing any weird, impossible poses. Which is what I do too much.

     Futhermore, unless you are a majorlycrazylyimpossibleidon'tthinkanyonelikethiscould'veexisted fast learner or improver, don't expect too much from yourself.  It takes TIME. The tracing or redrawn artwork might not be as good as the original, but hey, you've learnt something new.

     I too want to box myself in the face over and over at how stupid my old stuff looks like. 

     So, this is my opinion and way to learn what I've learnt till today. It might not work for everybody, but it worked for me, and I hope this will help you too. I remember when I was young and naive, tracing a hot manga guy... :) Sigh... Best of Luck! 

Your opinions are much appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you!:) It was very helpful b'coz i myself am a beginner in the art of sketching and painting. I mostly do random painting if u know what i mean .But now i'm learning to sketch . Thankz again. :D

    ReplyDelete